The Schottentor Passage was built between 1959 and 1961 as part of the tram network expansion and is next to the Opernpassage one of the major Viennese transport buildings of the post-war period.
The passage serves to defuse the busy crossroads. The structure is a combination of overhead and underground tram stops with a tram turning loop, the so-called “Jonas Reindl”, and an underground pedestrian passage with stone-clad walls and pillars, and glassed business premises and shop windows below the ring road.
The architect Prof. Dr. techn. Kurt Schlauss was responsible for the artistic design of the passage. Schottentor is one of the largest public transport networks in Vienna due to the meeting of numerous tram and bus lines and the metro. Today the passage is under monument protection.
- TeamChristian Münster
- ClientWiener Linien
- Start of Planning2013
- Start of Construction2015
- ImagesBildarchiv Austria